This is My Guide to San Fransisco from Los Angeles with Kids that brought joy to both my husband and I, as well as our kids.
Let’s face it, traveling with kids is a nightmare. I just got back from an overnight trip to Legoland and I am still in a state of shock. However, our family road trip up the coast to San Fransisco was such a delight. So without further delay, here is my guide to San Fransisco from Los Angeles with kids in tow.
- Starting off Prepared
- Points of Interest
- Tips for Easy Travel
- Have Fun
Starting off Prepared
My Guide to San Fransisco from Los Angeles with kids would not be complete without the first and MOST important step— Preparation. Taking kids out of their element should never be taken lightly.
- Always bring their favorite toy, blanket, and cup. This will help them feel safe wherever they go.
- Let them help pack so they are excited for the vacation. Talk up the trip and get them excited. I love these packing cubes to pack their clothes in to quickly find things. If you don’t use a product like this, I highly recommend you do!
- Pack the car the day before so your morning runs smoother. It will help you get out the door earlier than you would expect.
- Make sure you are prepared for any scenario. One example, includes keeping a potty for pee breaks when there isn’t a bathroom close by. Another example, wet wipes for when they spill or get carsick.
Points of Interest
This really depends on how long your kids can sit in the car. We originally picked a spot 4 hours away, but once the trip started, we made a quick decision to stop sooner… twice. We were so glad we did because we got the chance to discover the adorable Danish Village Solvang, CA.
It ended up that our kids needed a stop around every 2 hours. This is due to age, size of bladder, and allowing them to drink special drinks. My husband had a great idea to give them gatorade. Don’t make this colossal mistake. We only got 45 minutes along our way until we had to stop again!
Take the scenic drive up the 101. We loved riding along the coast and seeing the coastal cities (i.e. Ventura, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach). We also did the 17 mile drive (Ahhhh-mazing) and had a cocktail at the beautiful Spanish Bay of Pebble Beach with the lead singer of Train… Yep, you read that right.
Easy Travel Tips
- Keep snacks within hands reach. My kids (and I) LOVED these! I also made up a batch of Pb&J roll-ups.
- Load the car with good tunes that both the kids and you enjoy. We listened to a lot of Moana, but also great 80s tunes too. Everyone took a turn choosing a song so we were all happy.
- Bring each child a special toy.
- Charge the iPads and use AS LAST RESULT. We had more fun talking and looking at cows, agriculture, & the ocean than just the sound of the iPad.
- Pack each kid a special bag and have them in charge of picking out their toys. It is nice to have special toys for them to play with in the car and at your destination.
- Take time for yourself. Traveling with kids is hard, so if you have the option, find a sitter and have a night out. Recharging one’s adult battery with adult time is very important! We snuck into the city for the evening.
- Be spontaneous!
- Go with the flow (notice a pant-less Pj above).
- Connect with your friends & family… enjoy the trip.
- Take tons of pictures and share with everyone!
Really, my guide to San Fransisco from Los Angeles with kids is quite simple! Let go and live. Preparing before hand did allow for a more free spirit as we went along. Also, ending up at our friend’s house didn’t kill the fun vibe either!