Whether you need an update or feel your room is missing something, here are my five must haves when designing a space.
We recently updated our master bathroom. I wanted to up my design game and add a dark grout to my white subway tile. When I saw the workers finish the tile work, I panicked. It looked more like a trendy new restaurant and lacked any softness. I was so worried the space wouldn’t be as inviting, but I remembered my five must haves when designing a space.
The space simply was not finished. Once I found my five must haves, I quickly fell in love with my master bathroom. With just a few simple touches, you can be in love with your space too.
Here are my five must haves when designing a space:
- A feature color. For my master bathroom, I wanted a navy vanity. It was the center of my design. I also brought that navy color into the artwork above the toilet.
- Something green. I LOVE succulents. They are the perfect addition to a bathroom. Not to mention easy upkeep. You can also incorporate fresh flowers. That is a dream of mine. Fresh flowers 24/7 in all my rooms, but not alway realistic. Another option is high quality silk arrangements. Whatever you do, add a touch of nature.
- Art. Even bathrooms need a little art. This is where you can show your personality. I found this print in New Orleans when we visited this spring and took it to be framed to match the vanity. I also took the opportunity to hang a mirror that had an artistic flair. When I first saw this mirror, there was no doubt it belonged in the space.
- Decorative Candle. I love to always have a candle burning. Currently I am burning Voluspa Baltic Amber in my bedroom. Never buy a boring candle but make it part of your design. The candle I chose for our bathroom is a beautiful mercury glass candle.
- Monogram. This may be the southern girl coming out of me, but I love a good monogram. Whether it be a pillow, gold-pressed letter art, or a simple linen towel, a monogram finishes off a room in a classy way. I have a tea towel lying on our counter with a “G.” Believe it or not, this is always sitting there.
A little something else you can never forget is finishing touches. Don’t overlook an opportunity to add something unique. Lucite handles add a very classy and clean touch. I only needed 6, so I wasn’t going to break the bank buying them. Vanity love. Plain and simple. LOVE.
Where did I get it? Here are the links to the items in my post.