Here are 10 great uses for mineral oil that everyone should know about, especially if you have kids! You will be surprised at how useful and inexpensive it just is!
I first discovered mineral oil whenever we installed our butcher block counter top in our old house. It was the perfect oil to protect the wood and add an extra richness to it. It also is a great contender because of its long shelf life and the fact it does not go rancid like other oils. I began to search and realize there are so many uses for mineral oil. Today I am going share 10 great uses for mineral oil that I use in our home!
All You Need:
10 Great Uses for Mineral Oil
- Cleaning Stove. I use an assortment of products to clean our stove, but I really like this one. Not only does it remove the gunk from cooking, but it also shines the cooktop. Which brings me to my next favorite use of mineral oil.
- Polishing Appliances. This has to be my favorite use of mineral oil. Cleaning stainless steel isn’t so tough as you can see here, but maintaining the smudge free look is next to impossible. Using just a small amount of mineral oil to polish the appliances will keep them smudge free way longer. I typically apply using a clean cloth and then wipe off excess using a lint free cloth. Perfect results EVERY time.
- Protecting cutting boards. This is what is shown on the bottle. I love wood cutting boards and counter tops. It is so simple to renew their beauty and protect them using mineral oil. Just wipe on using a clean cloth and wipe off excess. It is also good on wooden salad bowls too!
- Removing Stickers. Any one have toddlers that stick stickers on EVERY PIECE OF FURNITURE, WALL, ETC. in your home? I hate stickers, but my kids don’t. Luckily mineral oil easily removes stickers & their pesky residue.
- Conditioning furniture. Save the money on expensive furniture polish, and use mineral oil. Rub on with a clean microfibre cloth and remove access with a polishing cloth. Too easy.
- Silencing squeaky doors. Just rub a little on the hinges and you can creep out of your kid’s room like a ninja!
- Preventing rust. We lived by the beach for a short time after we got married. Our beach cruisers rusted in no time. If I only knew I could have prevented it with mineral oil, I would still have our bikes. This is also good for outdoor furniture, grills, etc.
- Removing makeup. There are so many expensive makeup removers out there. Just get a small container, fill with cotton balls/pads, and soak with mineral oil. Any time you need to take off makeup, you are set to go. Oil is a gentle way to remove eye makeup that everyone should be doing.
- Removing gum from hair. This is way better than my mom’s peanut butter method. I fell asleep once with gum in my mouth and of course it tangled in my hair. Mineral oil is perfect to losing the icky sticky gum from the hair.
- Removing beach tar from feet. For all my SoCal mamas there comes times when the beach is washed up with tar. So gross. I have ruined swimsuits and flip flops with that stuff. Remove the tar from your feet using mineral oil. Apply to a clean cloth and scrub it off. It also moisturizers your feet too!
More simple cleaning hacks can be found here: