How to Start an Easy and Helpful Kids Positive Reward System, that teaches responsibilities and long term good habits.
Raising smart and kind children is difficult when we are tasked with a million things to do in a 24 hour day, on very little sleep, fueled by coffee and half eaten peanut better and jelly sandwiches. Here’s an easy kids positive reward system to help you and your family live peacefully together.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 Container (get creative)
- Puff balls or something that is easy to add and take away
Suggestions for labeling the container:
How to get started:
- Explain that every time they listen and obey, they get a puff ball. Being good at school, puff ball. When kind and shares toys, puff ball. You get the point.
- When they are not obeying and/or respond with screaming or throwing a tantrum, don’t threaten to take the puff ball away. It is important to remember that just because they did something wrong, it doesn’t negate the good things they have done in the past. Instead, bring attention to the good work they’ve been doing so far and encourage the good behavior. Help them see how earning the puff balls will earn them their reward.
- Once the puff ball container is full, they pick out a special toy, bowling with the family, a special dinner out or maybe go to the movies. A special prize picked out by the child helps to motivate them to be good, listen, and obey.
The greatest takeaway that the puff ball jar has to offer, is the child is learning long term good habits. Yes, we’re rewarded down the line, but it takes time to get to that reward (like a good grade or paycheck).
I hope this teaches your children valuable lessons that life is full of happiness and fun things when we respect authority, work hard, and do as we’re told.